Vinalhaven Land Trust was incorporated in 1986, near the beginning of the land trust movement in downeast Maine. In the course of that twenty-five years, VLT has succeeded in conserving many “whole places” that have significant natural features and little or no development. Working with landowners and partner groups, Vinalhaven Land Trust has helped to preserve:
- 700 acres along the tranquil Perry Creek inlet
- 90 contiguous acres and 1.5 miles of unbroken shoreline around Whitmore Pond at the head of Crockett Cove, a rare salt marsh habitat with abundant wildlife
- Starboard Rock
- four of the islands and seabird nesting colonies in the Brimstone archipelago
- in partnership with Maine Coast Heritage Trust and landowners, protected 745 acres of highly scenic and ecologically rich land around the Basin, a 360 acre tidal embayment
- four undeveloped islands in Seal Bay, an inlet renowned for its wild beauty
- nine preserves with diverse hiking trails for all abilities
- important acreage in the town watershed
REMINDER: This listing is a free service of LandCAN.
Vinalhaven Land Trust is not employed by or affiliated with the Land Conservation Assistance Network, and the Network does not certify or guarantee their services. The reader must perform their own due diligence and use their own judgment in the selection of any professional.
Contact Vinalhaven Land Trust
PO Box 268
Vinalhaven, Maine 04863-0268 Phone:
Statewide service provider in: