Streambank Stabilization and Restoration Program

Demonstrate effective, low-cost vegetative and other bio-engineering techniques that may be used to stabilize streambanks in suitable locations. Encourage the adoption of low-cost streambank stabilization practices by making available financial incentives, technical assistance, and educational information to landowners with severely eroding streambanks that qualify. Techniques commonly used include bendway weirs, rock riffles, stone toe protection, streams barbs, rock vanes, and willow posts.

Financial assistance on installation of approved practices at a cost-share rate of 75 percent. The remaining 25 percent of the project cost is the responsibility of the landowner. The cost-share payment may be used to cover labor, equipment and materials costs associated with the project. In addition, the program provides full funding for select demonstration projects.

All landowners and project sites (rural and urban) in each Illinois county are eligible for cost-share assistance, provided that the project site meets the assessment and selection criteria established for successful streambank stabilization using willow posts.

All project proposals must be sponsored and approved by the local Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) Board. Qualified SWCD or USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service employees will provide technical assistance. Proposals received by the submittal deadline will be reviewed, evaluated, and selected by a committee established by the Illinois Department of Agriculture for this purpose.

Projects approved for funding must have an Agreement Terms and Conditions Form, signed by the landowner, prior to issuing authorization to initiate the project. The Agreement Terms and Conditions Form is a legal and binding document between the landowner and SWCD outlining the responsibilities and obligations of the landowner for constructing and maintaining all approved cost-share streambank stabilization practices, as well as agreed to non-cost-share supporting practices (i.e. fencing to exclude livestock).

The agreement signed by the landowner and the SWCD will also state the length of time for which maintenance responsibilities are obligated by the contract. The landowner is responsible for maintaining or performing all agreed upon conservation practices for 10 years from the date of installation.

From FY 1999 to 2002 the annual funding level has been $800,000. In FY 2002 the IDOA received an additional $1,000,000 from the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency that will be used over three years on projects with the Illinois River Basin.

For more information about this program, contact your local SWCD.

Contact Streambank Stabilization and Restoration Program

Illinois Department of Agriculture
Bureau of Land and Water Resources
801 Sangamon Avenue
State Fairgrounds, P.O. Box 19281
Springfield, Illinois  62794
Phone: (217) 782-6297
Fax: (217) 557-0993


Service Area

Statewide Program in:
  • Illinois