St. Charles Parish Extension
St. Charles Parish, one of the original 19 parishes of the territory of Orleans, was created in 1807 from the county of the German Coast. By the early 1900’s, industry started moving into the Parish. In 1907, the first sawmill in the Parish opened. In 1908, the Louisiana Cypress Company began to harvest cypress in the area. The Cousins Canal was dug, and by 1912, over 100,000 feet of board lumber was floated out of it. Oil was discovered in St. Charles Parish in 1938 at Bayou Des Allemands. With the coming of the oil refineries, related industries also located in the Parish.

Agriculture & Natural Resources

St. Charles Parish is blessed with extensive surface water resources including miles of freshwater swamps, streams, bayous, rivers and lakes. The LSU AgCenter plays an important role in helping agricultural producers, home gardeners and hunters/sportsmen adopt proven research practices that lead to responsible management of natural resources. In 2012, the LSU AgCenter conducted a variety of educational programs that involved more than 320 St. Charles Parish clientele learning about the wise use of natural resources and protection of the environment. Through this educational effort, parish clientele gained an improved ability to perform the necessary and appropriate practices for minimizing pollutant runoff into parish watersheds.

Contact St. Charles Parish Extension

Contact St. Charles Parish Extension

Rene Schmit
PO BOX 1766
LULING, Louisiana  70070-1766
Phone: 985/785-4473
Fax: 985/785-4475


Service Area

Services provided in:
  • Saint Charles Parish, Louisiana