New Hampshire Environmental Quality Incentives Program

Program Description

The Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) is a voluntary cost-sharing program from the US Department of Agriculture. NRCS offers assistance for planning, designing, and installing conservation practices on eligible agricultural land. Technical assistance is provided by NRCS employees or non-governmental certified Technical Service Providers (TSPs), whichever you choose.


Your local NRCS -Conservation District Office has more detailed information on available funding, natural resource priorities, the application process, and eligibility. You can also visit the National NRCS website on the 2002 Farm BIll for the most recent fact sheets, press releases, and frequently asked questions.

Input from Local Work Groups and the NH State Technical Committee identified five areas of natural resource concern. Each resource concern has its own environmental rating form that addresses the four National EQIP priorities. These national priorities are:

  • reduction of non-point source pollutants,
  • air quality improvement,
  • reduction of soil erosion, and
  • promotion of at-risk wildlife species recovery.

Link to a list of all approved practices, cost-sharing rates, and rating information.

The following are the five categories developed for NH Click category for examples of conservation practices that can be cost-shared with EQIP funding.

Farmstead Environmental Concerns
Cropland Environmental Concerns
Water Conservation
Grazing Land Environmental Concerns
Forestland Environmental Concerns

What projects may qualify for EQIP

  • Manure storage
  • Composting
  • Barnyard runoff control
  • Erosion control
  • Nutrient management
  • Pasture management
  • Streambank fencing
  • Watering systems
  • Heavy use areas
  • Forest road erosion control
  • Grassed Waterways
  • Filter strips
  • Buffers
  • Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
  • And many more!

What does not qualify?

Building or fixing up barns and buildings, and drainage or alteration of wetlands are two examples of activities that are not eligible for cost-sharing.

How do I get started?

You need to fill out the 2007 EQIP Application Worksheet

We have a companion web site here on getting conservation assistance for your farm. Then, contact your local office for information on signing up for EQIP. A conservationist will inventory your resources with you and identify opportunities to protect, maintain, or improve them. Your conservationist can help you decide how to address each problem and develop a plan for your land. Visit our web site on conservation planning.


Your plan and needed conservation practices will be ranked against other similar proposals from New Hampshire. Applicants compete only with other proposals in the same natural resource categories. Rating of individual plans and ranking will be done periodically on applications received by an announced statewide cut-off date. The first cut-off date for ranking is 15 days after the final rule is published.

Funds will be made available for each natural resource category based on the demand as a percent of the total demand for all categories. This percent will determine the actual dollars as a percent of the allocation to New Hampshire. Applications that provide greatest natural resource benefit will be approved for funding until the money runs out. At least 60 percent of the allocated funds to New Hampshire will be used to address resource concerns involving livestock.

If your application is approved, the EQIP conservationist will turn your application and plan into a contract. We will provide design guidelines for all of the practices in the contract, since Federal government standards must be met for all Federally funded contracts.


Any producer engaged in livestock or crop production on eligible land may apply for EQIP. Eligible land includes cropland, rangeland, pasture land, private non-industrial forestland, and other farm or ranch lands as determined by the Secretary of Agriculture.


Sign UP

To apply for the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), you will need to fill out the Conservation Program Contract Form CCC-1200 and the Environmental Quality Incentives Program Contract Appendix To Form CCC-1200.

After submitting your application at your local USDA Service Center, a certified conservation planner will assist you in developing a plan to address the resource concerns on your farm. They will also work with you to complete a scoring worksheet for your application. Submitted applications are ranked, with the highest priority given to those applications in each region with the highest score.

Contact New Hampshire Environmental Quality Incentives Program

Contact New Hampshire Environmental Quality Incentives Program

Steven Hundley
110 North Road
Rockingham County Conservation District
Brentwood, New Hampshire  03833
Phone: 603-679-2790
Fax: 603-679-2860


Service Area

National Program