Kansas Private Landowner Assistance

KDWPT offers a variety of programs to assist private landowners on improving fisheries and wildlife on their property. Fisheries biologists can provide technical assistance on managing fish populations in ponds and provide information where pond owners can purchase fish.

Wildlife biologists can provide technical assistance on improving wildlife habitat as well as provide direction and guidance for many of the state and federal conservation programs that can be designed to improve habitat. A number of state programs or initiatives have been developed in order to improve wildlife habitat, including KDWPT's wildlife habitat improvement program (WHIP), the Pheasant Initiative which is designed to assist landowners with improving their Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) fields for pheasants by offering cost-share assistance on many USDA approved management practices, the Kansas Quail Initiative offers financial incentives and cost-share assistance to improve bobwhite quail habitat in southeast Kansas, and the Landowner Incentive Program was implemented in western Kansas to establish grass buffers around playa lakes, which are often located in crop fields that are susceptible to flooding.

There are several federal conservation programs that are also available to provide wildlife habitat improvements. KDWPT wildlife biologists are familiar with these programs and can provide assistance and guidance on which programs may be suitable to achieve your objectives.

In addition, there are several options for access programs that landowners/tenants may enroll their land in for a financial payment. The F.I.S.H Program leases ponds or streams for public fishing access from March 1 to October 31 of each year. The WIHA Program leases private land to provide public hunting opportunities from September 1 or November 1 to January 31 of each year. In addition, property can be leased for the spring turkey season (April 1 to May 31). The Special Hunts on Private Lands program provides landowners the opportunity to work with KDWPT biologists to set up limited access hunts on their property specific to number of hunters, type of hunters (youth, mentor, or open), access dates, species hunted, and equipment used.

In addition to the knowledge that KDWPT biologists can share regarding wildlife needs and habitat improvements, the Kansas Forest Service has district foresters who can provide assistance to landowners, specifically pertaining to forestry-related issues. Kansas Forest Service operates a Conservation Tree Planting Program that offers trees and shrubs to landowners at very low cost. Most, if not all, species of plants recommended by wildlife biologists can be purchased through this program.

Contact Kansas Private Landowner Assistance

512 SE 25th Ave.
Pratt, Kansas  67124
Phone: (620) 672-5911


Service Area

Statewide service provider in:
  • Kansas