Caroline Soil Conservation Districtlast updated: August 2017

Located on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, the Caroline Soil Conservation District serves a predominately agricultural region. Farming operations include dairy, swine, beef, and an ever expanding poultry industry. Grain farms, however, dominate the landscape of the Green Garden County. Approximately 80 percent of Caroline County’s land drains into the Choptank River, while the remaining 20 percent lies within the Nanticoke River Watershed. The district works with farmers and landowners to implement Soil Conservation and Water Quality Plans (SCWQP) outlined in Maryland’s Watershed Implementation Plan (WIP) to protect and restore the Chesapeake Bay. These plans feature best management practices (BMPs) to protect the environment. The district promotes costshare programs offered through the USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and the Maryland Agricultural Water Quality Cost-Share Program (MACS). Drainage continues to be a chief priority, as Caroline County has more organized Public Drainage Associations than any other district in Maryland. On the urban front, the district reviews erosion and sediment control plans and is authorized by the Maryland Department of the Environment to perform compliance activities.


Contact Caroline Soil Conservation District


Contact Caroline Soil Conservation District

John Shepard
District Manager
9194 Legion Road
Suite 3
Denton, Maryland  21629-2040
Phone: (410) 479-1202
Fax: (410) 479-2069

 

Service Area

Services provided in:
  • Caroline County, Maryland


To request additions or corrections to this entry email the Administrator