Calcasieu Parish Extension
Calcasieu Parish was created March 24, 1840, from the Parish of Saint Landry, one of the original nineteen civil parishes established by the Legislature in 1807. The early history of the parish dates back to the time of the Spanish occupation of Louisiana when Jose M. Mora (1797) was granted a large tract of land between the Rio Hondo and the Sabine River, known for years as the "Neutral Strip". For several decades the chemical and refining industries and the jobs they support have remained the "bread and butter" of the Parish's and region's economy. Miles of rivers, streams, and lakes offer excellent fishing, boating and swimming facilities.

Agriculture & Natural Resources/ Horticulture
Over 4,000 garden and landscape participants attended the annual Southwest Louisiana Garden Festival, with 846 attending 11 horticulture lectures during the two-day event. 32 gardeners gained skills in pest management during an intense 10-week course. 110 Local farmers attended production and management meetings for rice and soybeans. A demonstration farm plot was conducted on the new Mexican rice borer insect for management techniques in rice, sugarcane and corn. 11 cattle producers became Master Cattlemen by attending weekly courses on beef cattle management and environmental sustainability. A homeowner association was assisted in management of blue-green algae bloom in a local subdivision’s pond. After chemical treatment, water quality and aesthetics returned and fishing improved.

Contact Calcasieu Parish Extension

Contact Calcasieu Parish Extension

Robert Turley
7101 Gulf Highway
Lake Charles, Louisiana  70607
Phone: 337/475-8812
Fax: 337/475-8815


Service Area

Services provided in:
  • Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana