Young County is located in the beautiful lake country area of north central Texas. The center of the county is fifty-five miles south of Wichita Falls and sixty-five miles northwest of Ft. Worth. The county was named for Col. William C. Young. It covers 919 square miles of hilly, broken country with elevations from 1000 to 1300 feet above sea level. Young County is in the Cross Timbers and Prairie vegetation areas, covered by tall and mid grasses, live oak and post oak, and juniper and mesquite. The climate is subtropical and subhumid, with an average annual rainfall of 28-31 inches.
In 1851 the United State Army established Fort Belknap on the Red Fork of the Brazos River. The Brazos Indian Reservation was surveyed in 1854 twelve miles southeast of the fort. Among the 1200 Indians living there were Caddoes, Anadarkos, Wacos, and Tonkawas, each with their own villages and all relieved to have protection from the Comanches. The Indians were removed to Indian Territory in July, 1859. Young County was also a stop on the Butterfield Overland Mail route from 1858 to 1861. The new town of Graham was chosen as the county seat in 1873. Stockmen gathered at Graham in 1877 to form the Stock-Raisers’ Association of North-West Texas (later known as the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association). Young County is also the home of the largest live oak tree in the nation, estimated to be 500-750 years old. The tree stands 48 feet tall and has a circumference of 357 inches.
The economy of Young County is supported by agricultural crops of beef cattle, wheat, hay, cotton, and pecans. Minerals include oil, gas, sand and gravel. Oil exploration and production rapidly shaped the economy and actual production of petroleum began in 1920. Recreation opportunities include activities at Possum Kingdom Lake, exceptional hunting throughout the year, and tourism. Young County Arena attracts many entertainig events such as rodeos, tractor pulls, circuses, indoor motocross and others.
The offices of Texas AgriLife Extension in Young County are housed in the Courthouse Annex on Highway 16 South approaching Graham, Tx.
REMINDER: This listing is a free service of LandCAN.
Young County Extension is not employed by or affiliated with the Land Conservation Assistance Network, and the Network does not certify or guarantee their services. The reader must perform their own due diligence and use their own judgment in the selection of any professional.
Contact Young County Extension
3201 Highway 16 S
Graham, Texas 76450 Phone: