Throughout his career Bill Plageman has focused his practice in the areas of real property and estate planning. Prior to establishing the firm in 1993 he was the managing partner of the East Bay office of Thelen Marrin Johnson & Bridges. In addition he served as the head of their nine office Real Estate Group.
Bill has assisted clients in all aspects of real estate including property management, development agreements, acquisitions, sales, leases, and finance. He has obtained land use approvals for over nine complex coastal projects and numerous other real estate development approvals while simultaneously protecting owner's economic interests. Four of these projects involved private public partnerships with State and Local Park Districts.
Bill has assisted hundreds of clients in implementing strategies to both preserve and enhance wealth by formulating estate planning techniques to transfer assets to younger generations at reduced tax cost. These strategies frequently involve the use of trusts, limited partnerships, and business succession procedures such as buy sell agreements.
Primary Areas of Practice
- Trusts and Estates; Land Use; Real Estate
- Concentrated experience in trusts and estates, wealth transfers, and business succession.
- Extensive experience in real estate development, site acquisition; land use approvals, sales, leases and financing.
- University of California Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law J.D., 1968
- University of California, Davis B.A., Departmental Citation, 1965
Admitted to Practice
- State of California, 1969
- U.S. Tax Court, 1978
Professional Qualifications and Activities
- Northern California Super Lawyer
- American Bar Association (Member Section: Real Property, Probate and Trust Law)
- California State Bar: (Advisor of Member Section: Estate Planning, Probate and Trust Law) (Member Section: Real Property)
- Real Estate Practice Group Chairman: Thelen, Marrin, Johnson & Bridges
- Alameda County Bar Association Member Section: Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law
- American College of Trusts and Estates Counsel
- San Francisco Estate Planning Council
- Author and Lecturer: California Continuing Education of the Bar
- National Association of Estate Planning Councils
- Urban Land Institute
- General Counsel and Board Member Golden Gate Better Business Bureau
- Board of Directors, General Counsel Bay Area Tumor Institute
REMINDER: This listing is a free service of LandCAN.
William H. Plageman, Jr. is not employed by or affiliated with the Land Conservation Assistance Network, and the Network does not certify or guarantee their services. The reader must perform their own due diligence and use their own judgment in the selection of any professional.
Contact William H. Plageman, Jr.
Plageman, Lund & Cannon LLP
Retired Partner (senior counsel)
One Kaiser Plaza, Suite 1440
Oakland, California 94612 Phone:
Statewide service provider in: