Transition Incentives Program (TIP)

The Transition Incentives Program (TIP) offers assistance for retired or retiring land owners and operators, as well as opportunities for beginning and socially disadvantaged farmers and ranchers. It provides the retired/retiring land owners or operators with two additional annual rental payments on land enrolled in expiring Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) contracts, on the condition they sell or rent this land to a beginning farmer or rancher or to a socially disadvantaged group. Up to two additional annual CRP payments can be obtained through TIP. New land owners or renters must return the land to production using sustainable grazing or farming methods.
Why is TIP important?
TIP provides retiring land owners and operators with an incentive to return land to production on an expiring CRP Contract in a way that preserves established conservation practices. It also provides an opportunity for beginning and socially disadvantaged farmers and ranchers to purchase their own land or rent land.

Participant Information

  • How do I enroll in TIP?
    • Only land enrolled in an expiring CRP contract is eligible. TIP enrollment is on a continuous basis, and may occur up to one year before a contract is set to expire. To qualify for TIP, the retiring land owner or operator must either sell this land, or lease it on a long-term basis (at least five years), to a beginning or socially disadvantaged farmer or rancher. 
  • Is TIP land eligible for any FSA conservation programs?

For further information about the program, including CRP contract expiration rules, rental payment information, maintenance criteria, and land requirements, visit your local FSA office.


REMINDER: This listing is a free service of LandCAN.
Transition Incentives Program (TIP) is not employed by or affiliated with the Land Conservation Assistance Network, and the Network does not certify or guarantee their services. The reader must perform their own due diligence and use their own judgment in the selection of any professional.

Contact Transition Incentives Program (TIP)

USDA Farm Service Agency

National Service


Service Area

National Program

Create an Account to make additions or corrections to your profile.