Hardeman County was created in 1858 from Fannin County, recreated in 1876 and organized in 1884. Hardeman County is named for pioneer Texas brothers, Bailey and T. J. Hardeman. Hardeman County is located between the Pease River on the south and Red River on the north, adjoining Oklahoma. There are two towns included in the county which are Quanah and Chillicothe, as well as a ghost town called Medicine Mounds. There is many historic events that took place within the county that contribute to today’s culture and special events. Wheat and cotton are the main crops, with beef cattle and stockers adding to the economy. Some sheep, goats, swine, and horses are also raised. Businesses include agri-business and some manufacturing. Copper Breaks State Park, which is operated by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, is located in far southern Hardeman County near the Pease River just off State Highway 6, about 12 miles (19 km) south of Quanah. The park features a portion of the state Texas longhorn herd. The AgriLife Extension office works with county officials to provide practical, how-to-education based on university research.
REMINDER: This listing is a free service of LandCAN.
Hardeman County Extension is not employed by or affiliated with the Land Conservation Assistance Network, and the Network does not certify or guarantee their services. The reader must perform their own due diligence and use their own judgment in the selection of any professional.
Contact Hardeman County Extension
308 Main Street
Quanah, Texas 79252 Phone: