Building Farmers in the West will focus on refining and expanding capacity-building programs for beginning farmers and ranchers in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Idaho and Wyoming. Specifically we will:
1. Develop well-targeted curriculum and decision tools for smaller-scale commercial farmers and ranchers.
2. Present materials through appropriate educational platforms:
a. Short courses at the introductory level (Principles of Business Planning and Management) for those in their first years of operation, who are still exploring the possibility of establishing a farm or ranch, or those working for existing operations who are considering investments in their own operation. The program will continue to use delivery methods that allow for hands-on learning, integrate producer instructors, and encourage community building among producers, community partners and University instructors.
b. Advanced Classes for those who have earned certificates from the base program (Principles of Business Planning and Management).Additionally advanced producers who have not completed the Principles class may make competitive application to take these Advanced Classes. These programs will focus on key topics in business management (defined as those that require more rigorous analysis or detailed background information) and Developing Yourself as an Ag Business Leader (focused on leadership and management skills).
3. Provide enhanced experiential learning opportunities for those short-course participants who complete a solid business plan (or other planning deliverable) after taking the Building Farmers class series.
4. Offer Technical Assistance Mini-grants for professional consulting services to Building Farmers program graduates and advanced beginning farmers.
5. Evaluate the materials, course approaches, producer outcomes, and long-term sustainability of our Building Farmers technical assistance programs.
6. Explore a Colorado Land-Link program with Guidestone.
REMINDER: This listing is a free service of LandCAN.
Colorado Building Farmers is not employed by or affiliated with the Land Conservation Assistance Network, and the Network does not certify or guarantee their services. The reader must perform their own due diligence and use their own judgment in the selection of any professional.
Contact Colorado Building Farmers
9595 Nelson Road
Longmont, Colorado 80501 Phone: