Guide to Well Permits, Water Rights, and Water Administration


By law, every new well in the state that diverts ground water must have a well permit. In order to obtain a permit, a
person must file an application for approval of a permit with the State Engineer.  This guide provides a discussion that applies to the areas of the state outside the designated ground water basins. Please refer to the section of this guide titled, “How Do I Obtain a Water Well Permit Within a Designated Basin?”, for a discussion on obtaining well permits within the designated ground water basins, and for information as to where the designated basins are located.

pdf Download Full Article